Bassano del Grappa
Bassano del Grappa: in 200 B.C. the Romans conquered this land and converted it to agriculture. There is little information about the Lombard period (VI-VIII century) and Franco (VIII-IX century). Some documents show there was the first nucleus of the town with the parish of Saint Mary in 998 and the Castle in 1150. From 1175 it was dominated by Vicenza, incorporating it as they were aware of the town’s strategic position. This period was marked by the close political and military ties with the Ezzelini family which, although they limited the town’s autonomy, did not prevent them from establishing the first town magistracy. Beginning from 1260 Bassano was first subject to Vicenza, then Padua, Verona, again by Padua and, in 1388, the Visconti family who left it a certain amount of autonomy. The Serenissima conquered Bassano in 1404, but did not change the statutes and habits, but granted control to one of its own chief magistrates and a captain. For the four centuries of Venetian government the town lived in peace and abundance, with the growth of the textile industry (wool, silk, leather) and gold industry.
To visit: the Ponte Vecchio (old bridge) standards on the River Po, also known as the Alpine Bridge, and since its construction in 1209 it has undergone numerous works and reconstructions. Palladio designed the wood bridge in 1569, but a spate in 1748 destroyed it, however a few years later it was reconstructed by Bartolomeo Ferracina. The Cathedral stands inside the first ring of walls of the Superior Castle. The cathedral was reconstructed in 1417 and has been altered on several occasions. Inside there is a XII century wood crucifix and the Filarete Cross from 1449. The Church of San Francesco was dedicated to the Virgin Mary and granted to the Friar Minors who renamed it to San Francesco. In pure Romanic Latin cross style, it has been extended a few times. Inside it has a beautiful Annunciation by Guariento di Arpo and a painted wood Crucifix. Some historians claim the church was built further to a vow by Ezzelino I da Romano on his return from the second crusade, during a violent sea storm. The Ossuary Temple, originally seat of the Archpriest, became an ossuary at the end of the Great War, and contains the remains of around 6,000 who fell in battle.